Home Modification Solutions strongly recommends that an occupational therapy assessment accompanies any modification work. In the case of subsidised work, it is an essential part of funding guidelines.


What is an Occupational Therapist?

According to Occupational Therapy Australia: “Occupational therapists are qualified health professionals who work with people of all ages and abilities to do the things they need and want to in all aspects of life, such as taking care of oneself and others, working, volunteering, and participating in hobbies, interests and social events. Occupational therapists call these things “occupations”.”


What is Occupational Therapy for Home Modification?

Occupational Therapists work with our clients to identify any specific risks or barriers to accessibility in their own homes. This can include everything from showering, getting out and about, cooking your own meals and so on. They can identify what needs to be done by a qualified tradesperson, and will also assess the work of the builder once the home modifications have been completed.


When do I need to engage an Occupational Therapist?

We recommend that you engage an occupational therapist twice. Once at the beginning to assess your needs, and then again when the work is complete to make sure that the work is to a high quality and successfully meets your needs. However, this is not compulsory unless you are receiving a government subsidy, for example through My Aged Care.


How do I find an Occupational Therapist?

 Home Modification Solutions can connect you with a provider for an occupational therapy assessment in Sutherland Shire or St George areas through our service. Please call us on 02 9524 1100 or send us an online inquiry.